We are moving over to using SignShop due to the increased functionality but we will continue to keep ChestShop active for those that prefer. SignShop should provide all of the same functionality and more. The admin staff will work on transitioning existing shops to SignShops. Because of the way they work, this will help clear up space in the Market and may lead to a Market redesign as well.
- You can create your own description for the items, leading to less confusion as to what you are buying and less sign clutter explaining it
- You can sell any combination of items with a single transaction (explained below)
- Your sign does not have to be next to your chest. It can be up to 50 blocks away from your chest.
- You have to manually protect your chest with LWC
- Less automatic creation; slightly more involved setup for multiple shops
- No 100% confirmation that what the sign says is what the shop is selling in the chest.
- You cannot use one sign to Buy and Sell like you can with ChestShop
- Owner's name does not appear on the shop unless they want to write it into line 2 or 3 (this is neither good nor bad but could make it hard to find a specific player's shop).
Creating a SignShop
Make sure to bring one Redstone dust with you
If you are building a shop in the Market, the first step will be registering to build inside the Market zone. Find the sign outside of the Market that says "[MarketRegister]" and Right-Click it. There is a one-time fee of 100 Gold to register. The cost to create individual shops has been removed.
The first thing you will need to do is claim a chest. Use the "/cprivate" command to find a chest in the Market you wish to use. In the back of the first floor there is a locker room set up for member storage:
Use "/cprivate" to claim a chest and then crouch+right-click to edit a sign so that we know it is claimed (and so you can find it again). The signs with "^^^" point the chest above, "vvv" below. Example:
Once you have your chest claimed, this is the important one-time setup. Put the exact amount of items in the chest that you want your shop to sell. If you want to sell 1 Dirt put exactly 1 Dirt in the chest and no other items. If you want to sell 64, put 64 in there. Once this is set up you will need to create your sign.
- The first line of your sign should say "[Buy]" if other players are buying the item from you or "[Sell]" if you are buying that item from players. These are not case-sensitive.
- The second and third line of your sign can say anything. This is where you will want to put a description of whatever your shop is buying or selling for each transaction, such as "Dirt x 64" or "Diamond Block x 1". This is where SignShop has a slight benefit over ChestShop. You do not have to make a second sign to describe items that may have non-descriptive item ID's, such as "stone:5", etc.
- The fourth line should be the cost of your item. You can include any text on the fourth line but it will be stripped out and only numbers will be read. All prices are listed in whole numbers. 1 is 1 Gold. 100 is 100 Gold. For reference, players begin with 100 gold and monster generally reward 1-3 gold per kill depending on difficulty. Check the market to get an idea of what prices are like.
Linking your Chest and your Sign:
Now you need to link your chest and your sign. This is done with Redstone. If you registered for the first time at the market you are given a redstone dust for free.
With your redstone dust in hand, left click on your chest. SignShop should say "[SignShop] Stored location of chest facing <direction> containing <items>". If you selected the wrong chest you can click again to deselect it. It will say "Removed stored location." When you have your chest stored, with your redstone dust selected, click on your sign. If your sign was set up right you will receive the message: "You have put <items> for sale at a price of <price>". The first line of [Buy] or [Sell] should now have switched to blue in color.
Once this happens, the shop is created and you can modify the contents of the chest however you wish. If the chest does not have enough items to cover the transaction, the [Buy] will switch to red in color to indicate it is out of stock.
You can set up more SignShops using the same chest by repeating the above steps. Just make sure when you link the Chest and Sign that the chest has only the items you are trading per transaction.
When creating a [Sell] shop you go through the same steps as the [Buy] shop. Make sure your initial chest only has the one item and amount of it you wish to buy per transaction. Just as with ChestShop, you can place 1 item (such as dirt) in every space of a chest except 1. When players have sold enough items to fill up that 1 space, the shop will no longer accept items.
Buying from a SignShop
When interacting with a SignShop, left-clicking on the shop will give you information about what is in the shop and the cost. With SignShop you can never accidentally buy from a shop by left-clicking.
You must Right-Click to perform the listed action for SignShop, whether that is Buy or Sell.